The Art Garland base burners were cast iron stoves with a history from the late 19th century. They were known for their ornate design, including decorative elements such as flowers, vines, and leaves. They were also known for efficiency and durability.
Rather than being a brand name of a company, “art garland” is generic and descriptive of its nature. The name “Art Garland” reflects the ornate design of the stoves. They feature a variety of decorative elements, such as flowers, vines, and leaves. The name is also a reference to the Art Nouveau style of art, which was popular in the late 19th century. Art Nouveau is characterized by its use of flowing lines, organic forms, and natural motifs.
A base burner is a type of stove that heats the air around it, rather than the air above it. This is because the firebox is located at the bottom of the stove, instead of the top. This makes base burners more efficient than other types of stoves, as they heat the air that is in contact with the firebox, rather than the air that is above it.
Base burners are also more effective at heating larger spaces, as the heat is distributed more evenly throughout the room. This is because the heat from the firebox rises up through the stove and into the room, rather than being trapped in the stove itself.
Base burners are typically made from cast iron, which is a durable and long-lasting material. They are also relatively easy to maintain, as they do not require a lot of cleaning or upkeep.
The Art Garland base burner was a coal-burning stove, but it could also be used to burn wood. It had a large firebox that could hold a significant amount of fuel. It could heat a large area. The Art Garland also had a number of features that made it a somewhat safe and convenient stove to use. For example, it had a built-in damper that could be used to control the heat output. It also had a safety valve that would automatically shut off the flow of fuel if the fire got too hot.
Despite the existence of safety features, asphyxiation deaths from open flame heaters were relatively common in the early 20th century. In 1912, for example, there were over 1,000 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States. This was due in part to the fact that many people were not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Many open flame heaters were not properly vented.
In the early 20th century, many people used open flame heaters to heat their homes. These heaters were often used in small, enclosed spaces, such as bedrooms and living rooms. This created a perfect environment for carbon monoxide to build up, which could lead to asphyxiation.
People did not know that carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. As a result, many people died from carbon monoxide poisoning without even realizing what had happened.
Superseded by Newer and Safer Products
Fortunately, the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are now well-known. Open flame heaters are seldom used anymore. As a result, asphyxiation deaths from open flame heaters are much less common today than they were in the early 20th century.
Base burners mostly disappeared in the 1970s. This was due to a number of factors, including the increasing popularity of central heating, the rising cost of fuel, and the growing awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Central heating became increasingly popular in the 1970s. This was due to a number of factors, including the rising cost of fuel, the increasing availability of central heating, and the growing popularity of air conditioning. Central heating is more efficient than base burners, and it provides a more even distribution of heat.
The rising cost of fuel also contributed to the decline of base burners. Base burners burn wood or coal, which are both relatively expensive fuels. As the cost of fuel rose, so did the cost of operating a base burner.
- Year Started: 1880
- Year Ended: 1970
- Origin Of Name: Descriptive
- Location Sales: Worldwide
- Brand Name Predecessor: N/A
- Brand Name Successor: N/A
- Owner Original: Generic
- Owner While In Use: Generic
- Owner Successor: N/A
- Year Resurrected: N/A
- What’s Popular Today: Electric Space Heaters
- Naics Code: 333414
- Location Headquarters: Detroit, Michigan USA