Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic history was as a malaria medicine first sold in 1885 by Edwin Wiley Grove. It was a popular remedy for malaria. At one time, more bottles of Grove’s Chill Tonic were sold than bottles of Coca-Cola.
Grove was born in 1846 in Madison, Indiana. He moved to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1865, and began working as a druggist. In 1878, his wife and daughter died of malaria. Grove was determined to find a cure for the disease, and he began experimenting with different remedies.
In 1885, Grove developed Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic. The tonic was made from quinine, which was known to be an effective treatment for malaria. However, quinine has a bitter taste, so Grove suspended it in a flavored syrup to make it more palatable.
Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic was sold in drugstores and general stores all over the United States. The tonic was also popular with the military. It was issued to soldiers fighting in malaria-infested areas.
Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic was sold to the American Drug Company in 1890. The company continued to produce Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic until 1930.
Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic was considered to be beneficial in retrospect because it was one of the first effective treatments for malaria. It helped to save countless lives and was a commercial success.
However, it is important to note that Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic also had some negative side effects. It could cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It could also be toxic in high doses.
In 1930, the American Drug Company was acquired by the Squibb Corporation. Squibb continued to produce Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic until 1965, when it was discontinued.
Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic was a significant product in the history of medicine. It was one of the first effective treatments for malaria, and it helped to save countless lives. The tonic was also a commercial success, and it helped to make Edwin Wiley Grove a wealthy man.
In addition to its medical and commercial significance, Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic is also a significant cultural artifact. The tonic’s popularity reflects the widespread fear of malaria in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The tonic’s packaging and advertising also provide insights into the values and beliefs of the time.
- Year Started: 1885
- Year Ended: 1965
- Origin Of Name: Name of Founder / Descriptive
- Location Sales: Worldwide
- Brand Name Predecessor: N/A
- Brand Name Successor: N/A
- Owner Original: Edwin Wiley Grove
- Owner While In Use: American Drug Company
- Owner Successor: Squibb
- Year Resurrected: N/A
- What’s Popular Today: Tru Niagen
- Naics Code: 325412
- Location Headquarters: St. Louis, Missouri USA